Wednesday, 3 June 2009

The end of the NHS road

It has been 18 months since I initially went to the doctors. 18 months since the doctor told us that there was funding for IF in our region and that we met the criteria.

It has been 8 months since our initial consultation at the hospital and 6 months after I had the laparoscopy and was informed that, if I did not get pregnant in the next six months, our next step would be assisted conception.

6 months of waiting, hoping and anticipating that we would be moving on to the next stage of our IF journey. 6 months of waiting to be told that, as far as the NHS are concerned, it is the end of the road for us. Of course, we can continue our journey alone and they wish us well.

I was in shock. I had done my research. I had seen documents that stated that our Primary Care Trust (PCT) would pay for one cycle of IVF to couples who meet their criteria. Crikey, I had even seen minutes from a meeting in June 2008 that said that they would focus on offering one cycle of IVF to 39+.

When I mentioned all of the above to the Registrar yesterday (obviously the consultant is too important a person to give us the brush off) she was insistent that there is no funding.

Nope kiddo, it's the end of the road for you two - but don't leave it too long to decide which clinic you want to go to because you have been trying for over three years now.

Yesterday I was distraught. I felt like they had given us hope and then, at the last minute, snatched it away. I was worried that D would definitely not want to pursue assistance if it meant that we had to find the money for it and I felt angry that they had left us hanging for six months.

So now what? Well, now we try and find the money and we go it alone. D and I talked and we are both committed to giving it a go. D isn't against it and I need to do it to get some closure, if nothing else. At the moment we can't afford it but we are going to look into the possibility of egg sharing in the hope of reducing the cost.

This morning I feel positive. I almost feel happy that we have been released from the NHS. Obviously there is the pressure of funds but, now we can decide exactly when we want to proceed with this and which routes we want to take. In saying that, I'm not going to leave it there. I am in the process of writing a letter to our PCT and I will be making an appointment at my doctors to see whether she can shed some light on it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Nationalized Health Care has its benefits but in a way I’m glad we don’t have it. Even though we’ve shelled out about $30,000 I’m glad we got to do treatments on our own terms and our own timeframe. Granted insurance coverage would have been nice!

It will be more of a challenge, but I’m sure you’ll find a way to continue your journey to parenthood.

Liz said...

What?! What the hell? How can they change like that? I thought one round of IVF was standard across the country (and two goes for those lucky folks in Scotland). I'm so sorry, and what a bastard to have to wait six months just to be told to go private. I don't really know what to say. I am appalled on your behalf, talk about a postcode lottery. Glad that you don't sound too down about it.

Rambler said...

Really? REALLY? That was the best answer they gave you after 18 months? I don't know how NHS works, but is't there a way to appeal this? To show someone the research you have done?

Nonetheless, sorry to hear about yet another hurdle to jump over in the IF journey. Like it's not bad enough anyway. I'm glad to read you are still positive.

Donnamarie x said...

Feck that !!!!!!!!!!!!
thats terrible !
im one of the lucky folks who get 2free shots, but I hate the fact there is a postcode lottery..some folks even get 3 goes !! write a super letter and ill have my fingers crossed for you !!!xx